About Me

My photo
Welcome to my world (well my online collection, that is). I invite you to read and explore my nicoco thoughts & adventures be it at home, in the city of Glasgow, around Scotland or elsewhere on this extraordinary earth. I thoroughly enjoy the simple things in life. Photography is fun, laughing is underrated and smiling is always the way forward! BA (Hons) Business Studies 4th Year Student interested in Marketing, @ Glasgow Caledonian University. Currently living in Scotland physically, on cloud nine mentally. I enjoy exploring, traveling, and experiencing anything which crosses my yellow brick road journey in life!

Sunday 30 December 2012

Chistmas in Canada 2012!

Sometimes plans go through the window, and its times where you are left alone that you really appreciate the meaning of family. Unfortunately due to an unforeseen family issue for my roommate, colleague and best friend, our Christmas plans were diminished within a few hours.  Being alone in Boston was now a prospect I was going to have to endure during my time off work from December- January for 2 weeks.

Having looked at flights back to Scotland it was a tad ludicrous pricing due to the very last minute booking and so close to Santas arrival, I really wanted to just stay on this side of the pond- so why not visit distant family in Canada.

My Mums Aunt and Uncle live in Canada and have started their own Canadian life and family in the Capital of Canada- Toronto. I had once met this part of my family many years ago, at my Grans house in Ardrossan, Scotland.  Having them being a lot closer to me in Boston, than they ever have been whilst I stayed in Scotland it made perfect sense to get in contact with them in my situation and see if they would take in a humble lodger for the festive period!

Within a few days of contact since many years, I had been welcomed up to Canada to stay for a whole week during Christmas.  I could not have been more happier at the time I booked my flights (eventually to the correct Provence, as my Canadian geography wasn't upto scratch..) to know I was going to be with family, to be able to re-connect and enkoy the merry season with them.

I flew on December 29 via Porter Airlines which was fun, it was my first time in a smaller jet plane! We flew slightly delayed due to technical problems, and landed in Billy Bishop Island Airport- which I must add is a terribly small run way, I really thought I was going to have to swim over to Toronto. Taking the 2 minute ferry after I collected my luggage I was now walking on Canadian soil, and meeting my distant family!
Holly my mums cousin, my second cousin kindly, waited for me and picked me up at the airport- and took me to their lovely family home where I met her husband and re-met her daughter, my third cousin (thankfully we both looked a tad older from our younger days). . .

My time in Canada FLEW in. I was so lucky to have explored some of Torontos sights, met the most amazing people, be hosted on Christmas day with family and gifted lots of love and presents on Christmas.  I hopped between my Aunt Mays house, and Hollys' house, which was great as it allowed me to steal lots of family stories and past from their Canadian lifes. Being able to re-connect with this part of family was just great, and I am so thankful for them welcoming up to share their love and warmth during December!

Whilst in Canada I:
-Wined and dined at more distant families house and won a few games of pool (I honestly am normally really bad..) Enjoyed a great palette of food and tonnes of cheer!
-Explored the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) for an interest few hours, learning about the mighty dreadful DinoSAAAAAURS from the past and historical seeings.
- Walked around Queens Park, trying to capture some snaps of the brown and black squirells which are in their teams scurrying around the trees and bushes! I found them hilariously intriguing as I am only used to little grey furry squirells. (easily amused, I guess)
- CHRISTMAS DAY. - Spoiled by the Coopers and Co on the Merry little day, indulged in heaps of scrumptious food and welcomed as a Canadian. It was as if I had known them for a lot longer, I could not have been welcomed any more- it was lovely!
- Enjoyed Boxing Day shopping in Yorkdale Mall. I enjoyed wandering around the many sales, unlike other manic shoppers who go ALL out and get a tad insane with crunching prices which are offered... followed by a tasty lunch in Jack Astors, which let you draw on the table with crayons and create a 'work of art' whilst awaiting the fine foods. I created a stunning castle, accompanied with Highland Cows and sheep. (spot the scot) I really think my drawing will be cherished..
-Enjoyed a chinese buffet whilst meeting more third cousins which again was lovely to extend the family love! We watched Brave the Scottish film, which was great- I really didn't realise my accent was that strong.. ohmy!
-TORONTO TOURS. - Given a priceless tour around Downtown Toronto by my lovely cousin Holly. We explored the CN Tower which gave you breathtaking views of the city, it was a tad misty a few miles out in the view due to the snow but I still got fabulous shots of the Lake, and city surrounding the 346m high tower http://www.cntower.ca/en-CA/Plan-Your-Visit/Attractions/LookOut.html
-Being able to take in some of the many districts in Toronto, my favourite being the Distillery District where we enjoyed lunch and the many quirky shops. Ending the night with MINCE and TATTIES at my Aunts house, it was a grand meal- cheers!

My flight home on the 29th felt slightly like a rollercoaster simulator at points.  With the heavy snow that Boston was experiencing, we hit a snow storm in the clouds which gave us all a good shake and bump in the jet plane.

When I finally got into my apartment, a tired little scot I rested my head looking to unpack tomorrow, delighted with my past week in Canada.

It was better than I had imagined, and I could not have asked to be welcomed with any more kindess and love than what I received.  It was an amazing Christmas 2012, in Canada- and I will cherish the memory for years to come!

Thank you for a great week, christmas and time in Canada Coopers and Co! Love and Hugs, Nicole X





No comments:

Post a Comment